Tomorrow is my last day of class. I woke up this morning really tied up in knots. For many reasons, some obvious, some not so obvious. It’s interesting for me to notice that the past two days I have been knowing I need some exercise…even a walk. I could feel that tension building to a degree that even in the rain, I needed to get moving.
So waking up all tied up today sans exercise (the past few days as well as for way too long – only 2 road bike rides so far) was all the more difficult knowing I’d have to really push to make time to release some energy.
After tomorrow, I should have more time for many things that have been left behind, neglected, forgotten about, etc. during this 4-year marathon of a graduate school program. And to think I still have a full year of internship and dissertation left…
What are some of those things (not so much “people” because those ones are too obvious) that, in between today’s bouts of excitement, sadness, joy, and despair, come to mind?
• Photography (in particular more nature photography I used to do)
• Gardening (we’ve had a pretty sweet garden the past 2 years, but it was starting from scratch and now we’re moving)
• Exercise (weights, triathlons, mountain biking come to mind as things I haven’t done. I’ll keep up on hockey, hopefully snowboarding a few times next season, road biking (still new to me), and showing the boys what nature is.)
• “My Practice” – this is what I call the larger things that make up spiritual practice and growth
• My Vision – time to go back to the Vision Quest and ween or prune out what’s not useful anymore.
This is just a starting point. But it’s refreshing to know that I might have some psychic space opening up to “tend the garden.”
But first, I can’t wait to experiment with trying to stay in bed for 24 straight hours. Recovery begins on Tues.